Friday, July 10, 2009

Shop update 7/10/09

So I keep telling myself I need to use this more often. I recently changed prices in my shop and figure I could use this to explain why. Many people do not know the cost of fabric, especially designer fabric. I just had to raise the price on my new wipeable changing pad because once I sat down and figured out the actual cost of materials it was more than what I had listed it for and that wasn't even including the time it took to make. Then there is my competition. I just lowered all of the prices of my receiving blankets because my competition is wiping me out. I don't know if it will help or not. I have been playing with prices since I started selling at the end of December. I just thought an explanation was due to those who have been buying from me since the beginning and those who may have viewed the change pad and wondered why the sudden price increase. I hope everyone understands. I'm not getting a lot of business so there may still be more changes to come. I'm trying to price fairly and be competitive but sometimes being competitve isn't practical, since I don't know what price they are getting their materials for. I had originally based my changing pad on the price of other changing pads, but then I discovered I was seriously under charging and adjusted the price. I am the only one on etsy who is making them like this at the moment (though I'm sure others will eventually) so I feel if someone really likes it and values the quality they will be willing to pay the price for it. I see blankets that are smaller going for more.

As for my products there will be a lot more to come in the next month. My mother is here to visit for a month and will be spending a lot of time with my son so that opens up time for me to start making a lot of items. So be on the lookout for all kinds of new items in the next month!

No comments: